Friday, March 16, 2007

Yesterday I headed for the West Bank at Ingalls to check out the strikers and decided that maybe I shouldn't push my luck. I have noticed that when I have been there that I am the only spectator. I turned around and headed for the beach and surrounding areas where I took a few pictures. Rebuilding is a taxing task on the part of the homeowners and one must have the patience of Job to take it all on. Many do and their homes are being rebuilt. On occasion I have spoken about depression and how the aftermath of the storm has affected all of us. Personally I wonder if all our efforts will be in vain. Will our cities be able to recoup from lost revenue and once more become home to us? Or will we forever be asking for help? Since none of us know the answers we go on day to day trying to achieve a lifestyle again that can lift us out of the situation we find ourselves in. Through the camera lens I see hope but looking with normal eyes I see a heck of a lot to do. I never see anyone outside in the neighborhood I live in. When I am working in the yard I feel as though I am the only person here. A neighbor next to me has a sick wife and every now and then he comes out to tell me he is depressed. It is sad as they evacuated to a local hotel doing the storm with all their important documents in the trunk of their car. They were going to a "safer" place. They watched from a second story window as their car was submerged by the surge water. Ironically, as it turned out, it would have been safer had we stayed home. There were a handful of us in this area that from an aerial view looked as though we were on an island. No water touched us. I stayed at my daughter's doing the storm and had left my car in my garage. Her house flooded and they lost both vehicles. As of today they are still repairing their home. We are fast approaching two years. Today I feel better as the sun is shining and there are signs of Spring. A new beginning!

If any of the pictures look familiar to you it would be because I take the houses again as they progress in their construction.

No comments: