Friday, March 02, 2007

Tour Ending

I think many of you will be happy to know that the next pictures I post will end the tour down Washington Avenue. There are other sections of the area that I haven't shown you as I am now on what I call sick leave. Today I was thinking about the appearance of Pascagoula in its younger years. I saw a small town that was very charming with a natural beach and beautiful oaks that hadn't been battered by monstrous hurricanes. A wonderful place to grow up in. There was a huge pavilion at Beach Park where you could dance or roller skate... I did both. Years later an occasion arose where my husband and I brought our then three young teen daughters to a skating rink in Gulfport. After they had put on their skates, I went to get mine. My husband said, "What are you doing, you can't skate?" I guess he half listened when I told him that I could. So there I was skating "round and round" the rink while my daughters cheered, "Go Mama!" I should mention for the benefit of the story that there was a referee or whatever you call someone who thought he was at the Olympics. He wore a striped shirt, sported a crew cut and blew the whistle that hung around his neck repeatedly. Eventually, he and I made contact just as I was passing on his left. Somehow his left foot entangled with my right foot and he slid the entire length of the rink on his back. I didn't fall, I managed to stay on my feet. If the tears that come from intense laughter could kill, I would have died that night. The only thing that was hurt on the guy was his pride. He tried to knock me off my feet several times and when I saw that my husband had put on skates and was coming out on the rink I knew the guy was going to get hurt this time. I saved that from happening as I said, "Let's go George!" I don't know why the heck I wrote the above account except maybe I thought you might enjoy it. NOW the pictures.


No comments: