Monday, January 15, 2007

I spent the past weekend with my daughter, Peggy, who lives in Gulfport and as she drove me around the areas of cities that are familiar to me, I could look past the destruction and see the cities are coming back. I have mentioned in an earlier post that it is the young people who can bring us back by introducing innovative ideas. Don't "nip and tuck" as we did after Camille. True, we came back after that disaster but this time, we have a chance to put an entirely new face on our area that is up to date with the present times. We were "sitting ducks" for the two big hurricanes that hit us. This time we are building higher and stronger. It didn't take me long to become use to the unique style of our new homes and realize that it is the way to go. It's sad that we the older citizens have lost so much of OUR past but now it is time for the future of ongoing generations. We need to step aside and allow our children and grandchildren to build toward THEIR future. I think Gulfport is doing well. Sure there is much barren land but if you get past the extreme coastal area, there is much activity further inland. Pass Road is bustling. The few pictures below are of Gulfport's beach and downtown area.


The Best Western wasn't demolished, looks like it may be salvageable.


Marine Life is still sitting as it was but I will wager a bet that it will be back to once again house our dolphins who are in the Bahamas.


The picture below is the site of the old Daily Herald building on 14th street. It housed the prominent law firm of Bryant, Dukes & Blakeslee. Founded 1884 as Daily Herald


The next picture is of a building that will be demolished. It was the home for its first five years to a business that would last 36 yrs..... Medical Credit Service, Inc.... who would spend the remaining years of its longevity on West Railroad St. in Gulfport. That building was also demolished.


Okay!!! ... time for me to take a break for a day or so. I will be back with a few more pictures next time.

No comments: