Sunday, January 07, 2007

Why New Year Blues?

I believe that a new year brings many chances to change not only our way of life but also a chance to reconcile ourselves to the things we can not change. Yes, I believe all of that ... so "Why the heck am I having trouble this year accepting the life I live now"? Is it because I think that if emphasis had been put on the "people" from the very beginning of this disaster that there wouldn't be such an increase in crime, especially amongst our young people. The last major disaster (Camille) happened 36 yrs. ago and the young of today weren't here to know that things can get better. Desperation seems to be the driving force that make some do things that are not of a criminal nature but, nevertheless, are dishonest or downright unprofessional. For instance, I had a "fender bender" in late November of 2006 and brought my car in to have the bumper replaced. I gave the manager all the necessary info as well as the insurance adjuster's quote minus the deductible. Just before their closing, I got a call that my car was ready after two weeks without it. On pickup they charged me for the entire job. I asked, "What about my insurance?" Manager said, "What insurance?" Happy to say that insurance went after them and all was righted.

There were many things that happened in 2005 obviously but one stands out in my mind. In October 2005, a local doctor that was supposedly treating me banned me from his entire office as I voiced aloud how bad I felt. My search for a new doctor was of a frantic nature as many of our doctors had left the Coast. In December 2005, I found another. It took a while but he was sincerely interested in finding what was wrong with me. He found it in late September of 2006, a thyroid problem. As of today I feel better.

In March 2006, I hired painters to paint the entire outside of my house in order to get backporch damaged Katrina screens fixed as job was too small, other workers would say, when I called. I got a written contract from the foreman that any rotted wood would be replaced. Yep, you got it.... rotten wood everywhere.

I suppose what I am saying, is that I have entered 2007 with a feeling of distrust. If your own won't help you... who will?

No comments: